When you are attempting to update, restore or downgrade iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or iPod shuffle iOS on Windows or Mac, the iTunes error 3194 message may appear similar to the following:
This issue often occurs when you upload a jailbroken firmware that is not recognized by the Apple firmware signing services on your iTunes. To fix the error, follow these steps below:
- Close the iTunes.
- Locate the hots file:
- in Mac OS X, it is /etc/hosts
- in Windows, it is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
- Open the hosts file with Notepad.
- With Administrator privileges, at the bottom of the Notepad, type the following line:
- 188.8.131.52 gs.apple.com
- Connect iPhone to computer.
- Run the iTunes.
- Turn off iPhone/iPad/iPod and hold down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button but hold onto the home button until the iTunes displays the device is in recover mode.
- Use iTunes Restore feature with the iOS device as usual.
- After iOS have been updated, delete the "184.108.40.206 gs.apple.com" line from the hosts file, and then the iTunes can correctly update again.